Planning A Better Future Through Divorce
Divorce is a painful transition, even if you initiate it. The hope, however, is that you and your family will have a brighter future with less tension and conflict once it is over. To get there, you need a caring lawyer who takes the time to learn what is most important to you in the outcome and has the skill to get you there.
The divorce attorneys at the Law Offices of Dawn S. Veltman, LLC, are here to help. We help clients throughout northeastern Maryland from our offices in Bel Air and Upper Marlboro. Firm founder Dawn S. Veltman has received multiple awards, including a designation in “The National Advocates Top 100 Litigators” and the “10 Best Law Firms” for client satisfaction from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys.
Experienced. Committed. Compassionate.
We understand the divorce process in Maryland and can help you with all aspects, whether you and your spouse are in agreement or disputing the details. Common issues that come up during divorce include:
- Property division – Every divorce must deal with property division. Whether you’re dividing the furniture or dividing a business, we can make sure it is done correctly and in a way that protects your interests.
- Child custody – Perhaps the most crucial aspect of a divorce to get right, child custody and parenting plans should always put the child first. Today, most courts expect that a child will continue a strong, loving relationship with both parents.
- Child support – Though mainly calculated based on state statute, many factors can affect child support.
- Spousal support – Also known as alimony or spousal maintenance, spousal support does not come up in every divorce. We will let you know if we think it could be an issue with yours.
- Domestic violence – If you have suffered from abuse or have been accused of violence in your marriage, we can help you work through those issues. Our attorneys also have experience in criminal defense and can assist with criminal charges.
Whatever issues come up in your divorce, our experienced family law attorneys are ready to handle them. We look out for your interests to make sure you have a brighter future moving forward.
Should You Mediate Your Divorce?
No one knows your family like you and your spouse do. Therefore, no one could create a settlement agreement that meets your family’s needs better than you. Mediation can put you in control of the outcome. When you go to court, a judge has the final say. Mediation allows you to work through your differences and is especially helpful if you have children.
If you simply cannot come to an agreement, you can still litigate. Attorney Dawn S. Veltman is both a trial lawyer and a trained mediator. Whether you are looking for someone to mediate your divorce or an attorney to represent you and your interests, we can help.